As a busy mother of two young boys and an entrepreneur, it’s difficult to find time to do anything, let alone maintaining a skin regiment. Luckily, maintaining healthier, younger looking skin does not require a lot of time or cost. All it takes is developing and keeping healthy habits.
When you use your kitchen for cooking, you can “feed” your skin also! You’ve probably heard many of the body and health basics: drink plenty of water to stay hydrated; eat plenty of fruits and vegetables for anti-oxidants, maintain a well-balanced diet and exercise program, etc. Add skin to your list of health basics!!
Here are 10 easy tips to help you maintain healthy and radiant skin from head to toe.
1. Fruits ‘n Veggies: What you can do for your skin while eating your anti-oxidant rich fruits and vegetables is to use them also to wash your face or mash them for a facial scrub to exfoliate your skin. There is a whole list of fruits and vegetables such as tomatoes, avocados, papayas, mangoes, cucumbers, peaches and the list goes on, that have great benefits for your skin.
For myself, I prefer to snack on tomatoes and Carrots, which are great for your skin as they are rich in Lycopene and Carotene. It’s best to eat them raw for optimum nutrition. I usually sprinkle a dash of salt on my tomato, which makes it delicious. Don’t hesitate while feeding on your carrot or tomato to use the juice to wash your face and/or mash it for a quick facial. Of course not all fruits and vegetables work for everybody. Some may cause sensitivity in some skin types. You’ve got to try several and find the ones that work best for your skin. If you have sensitive skin for example then stay away from the citrus fruits and go for cucumbers instead. Cucumber is well known for its soothing and softening properties. Also cucumbers have been widely used as effective eyes pads to relieve puffy eyes and dark circles around the eyes.
2. Handy Quick Natural Facial: My favorite and quickest facial scrub is lemon, orange or lime peel scrub. Grate the pulp of any of the fruits above, add a little bit of honey and rub it over your face for a few minutes then wash with lukewarm water or green tea, pad dry and apply your face cream. Oh, you will be awakening your senses in the process too. The aroma of the citrus zest is intoxicating!
3. Rice Water: Use rice water to wash your face for clearer skin. Put few ounces of warm water in a small bowl; add 2 tablespoon of brown, wild or even white rice. Let it sit for a couple minutes, then run your fingers through the water and rice to stir drain and use the water to wash your face. Pad dry or let it air dry on your face and apply your face cream.
4. Green Tea…Of Course: Need anti-oxidant boost? As we all know, drinking green tea is good for you. It’s also great for washing your face. Brew some teas daily or enough to keep in your fridge and wash your face regularly with it. It’s a very effective, natural, low cost and healthy way to clean your face.
5. Try A Natural Moisturizer: After washing or exfoliating your face, you might want to moisturize it well with any natural oils you can reach in your kitchen cabinet. Put a little bit in your hand, add a few drops of water or tea, rub it in your palms and apply to your face by massaging it, gently in circular motions, onto your skin. I often use extra virgin olive oil that is a great moisturizer for dry skin. However, other oils, such as sunflower, almond and safflower, which may already be in your kitchen cabinet, have calming and emollient properties and have been used for years for medicinal and cosmetic purposes. Any of these oils will be a great natural moisturizer to help smooth and soften your skin.
6. Olive Oil + Citrus = Scrumptious Lips: Have dry lips? Dab your fingers in a little bit of olive oil and apply to your lips. Rub your lips together, remove any excess and voila! You’ll have nice, moisturized, supple lips! For a “zing” feeling, add a bit of lime juice. The lime gives a refreshing feel and glossy lips. Don’t apply citrus fruits if you have cracked or chapped lips or it will sting. You need not stop here: try other oils such as sunflower oil, sesame seed oil, with other fruits like strawberries, apples, pomegranates, and the list can go on.
7. Shade Is Your Friend: The sun is your best friend and worst enemy: We all love the sun; it keeps us warm and lively. However the sun can do great harm to your skin. According to Mayo Clinic “One of the most important ways to take care of your skin is to protect it from the sun. A lifetime of sun exposure can cause wrinkles, age spots and other skin problems — as well as increase the risk of skin cancer.” Skin care: 5 tips for healthy skin. Mayo Clinic. ( http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/skin-care/SN00003) Accessed May 30, 2012.
8. ‘’Skin-cation’’: Try and give your skin a little break or what we call at Belle Aglaia “skincation” that’s right, you heard it here first, a skin vacation! Once in a while when lounging at home, remove all make up from your face; rinse your face using any of the methods described above.
Then, use any of the natural moisturizing methods and let your skin take a break. After doing this a couple of times you will be hooked and start feeling confident about your natural beauty.
9. Water! Water! And Water! Water is a girl’s best friend. It’s always around. Water has countless benefits for your skin, your entire body, and your overall health. So drink plenty of water to hydrate, replenish and moisturize your skin and feel healthy and beautiful.
10. Try Belle Aglaia Products: After you create a natural skin regiment, you will be feeling good. Our natural and organic products will help you maintain and simplify your healthy skin regiment while being a friend to your skin.
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.